Task Bar Crashing

Whenever I receive a new Windows Security Update, my task bar and start menu disappear. I have to deinstall the security update to get the task bar and start menu to come back to my desktop. Will this security update problem be fixed soon?

This issue with the taskbar and Start menu disappearing after a Windows Security Update is not uncommon and can be frustrating. Here are some steps you can take to try to resolve this problem:

1. Restart Windows Explorer

Sometimes, simply restarting Windows Explorer can resolve this issue.

1. Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager.
  2. In Task Manager, find and select Windows Explorer under the “Processes” tab.
  3. Click Restart.

2. Run System File Checker (SFC) and DISM

Corrupted system files might be causing this issue. You can use the System File Checker and Deployment Imaging Service and Management Tool to repair these files.

1. Open Command Prompt as an administrator:

• Press Win + X and select “Command Prompt (Admin)” or “Windows PowerShell (Admin)”.
  2. Type the following commands and press Enter after each one:

sfc /scannow

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

3. Restart your computer after the scans are complete.

3. Update or Roll Back Graphics Drivers

Outdated or incompatible graphics drivers can cause issues with the taskbar and Start menu.

1. Press Win + X and select “Device Manager”.
  2. Expand “Display adapters”.
  3. Right-click your graphics driver and select “Update driver”. Follow the prompts to update the driver.
  4. If the problem persists, try rolling back the driver:
    • Right-click your graphics driver, select “Properties”.
    • Go to the “Driver” tab and select “Roll Back Driver” if the option is available.

4. Create a New User Account

Creating a new user account can help determine if the issue is related to your user profile.

1. Press Win + I to open Settings.
  2. Go to “Accounts” > “Family & other users”.
  3. Click “Add someone else to this PC”.
  4. Follow the prompts to create a new user account.
  5. Log in with the new account and see if the issue persists.

5. Check for Additional Updates

Sometimes additional updates or patches are released to fix known issues.

2. Go to “Update & Security” > “Windows Update”.
  3. Click “Check for updates”.

6. Perform a System Restore

If the issue started after a recent update, performing a system restore can revert your system to a previous state where everything was working correctly.

1. Press Win + S, type “Create a restore point”, and select it from the results.
  2. In the System Properties window, click “System Restore”.
  3. Follow the prompts to choose a restore point and restore your system.

7. Reset Your PC

As a last resort, you can reset your PC. This will reinstall Windows, but you can choose to keep your personal files.

2. Go to “Update & Security” > “Recovery”.
  3. Under “Reset this PC”, click “Get started” and follow the prompts.

If these steps don’t resolve the issue, it may be beneficial to contact Microsoft Support for further assistance. They can provide more specific troubleshooting based on the details of your system and the updates installed.